Letter of Reciprocity
University of California students who complete all lower division General Education (GE) requirements at one UC campus prior to transferring to another UC campus will be considered to have completed the GE requirements at the UC campus to which they transfer. This is commonly referred to as “GE reciprocity” between UC schools.
Students who have not completed the lower division GE at the time of transfer will be required to complete the GE requirements in effect and subject to the regulations of the UC campus to which they transfer (University of California Academic Senate Regulation 502).
UC Merced Letter of Reciprocity
NOTE: These interim guidelines are in effect for Letter of Reciprocity requests submitted on the UC Merced webform through 8/15/23 only. New permanent guidelines for a Letter of Reciprocity will be released by the GE Executive Committee effective 8/16/23.
At UC Merced, you are eligible to request a GE Letter of Reciprocity from the Division of Undergraduate Education if you have already completed (passed) all of the following requirements:
- University of California Entry Level Writing Requirement (ELWR)
- University of California American History & Institutions requirement
- Spark Seminar (SPRK 001: 3-4 units or SPRK 010: 2-4 units)
- GE Written Communication (WRI 010: 4 units)
- GE Quantitative Reasoning (one course: 4-5 units)
- GE Language (second semester of college level foreign language or equivalent)
- GE Approaches to Knowledge (3 of the 6 required courses) in the following pattern:
- One course in Area A: GE Natural and Engineering Science
- One course in Area B: GE Social Science, Arts and Humanities
- A third course in either Area A or Area B
- GE Intellectual Experiences (5 of the 8 required)
If you have questions about your eligibility for a Letter of Reciprocity, please contact your academic advisor at UC Merced.
To request an official Letter of Reciprocity from UC Merced, complete this webform.
- You must upload a PDF of your current UC Merced MyDegreePath audit when you submit the request.
- The Letter of Reciprocity will be mailed within two weeks of a complete webform submission to the email or mailing address of the new UC campus that you provide on the webform.